Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My initial quest...

I am attempting to update our blog with the natural products that we have tried. My initial quest was to find a safe alternative to traditional deodorant.  After reading so much information about the potential dangers of aluminum in our anti-perspirant/deodorant, I was determined to cut this product out of our use. So far I have found that using baby powder with cornstarch, not talc, has worked well with no irritating side effects. I have also tried a crystal stick, that contained ammonium alum, and had a lot of success with how it performed, however it unfortunately irritated my skin after several days of use. I will add that Todd uses it when he showers at home instead of the gym and he really likes it. It seemed to do great with both perspiration and odor. So I am back to the baby powder but have a new product that I will be trying out and will update. Please keep in mind that most natural products will control odor but not necessarily perspiration. If you do some research, our bodies are made to sweat and the aluminum blocks that from happening.

Another thing that we have eliminated from our home is all soap that is anti-bacterial. This was a hard one for me because I love all the fun scents of anti-bac soaps that are sold at that fun mall store. I would switch them for all the seasons, etc. We have all heard about the problems with anti-bac soaps contributing to bacteria that are more and more resistant so this seems like an easy fix. We just use simple hand and dish soap that do not have that anti-bac ingredient and have had no problems washing the germs away! Most of us grew up  using this plain soap anyway and we are just fine!

No comments: